I have a Hobo app that is used to register a bunch of people to a specific
event. The app is pretty simple, it requests a bunch of information,
calculates the price based on that information and when the user clicks ok,
it will submit the registration. The submission will then send confirmation
emails. So while some UI things are Ajaxy, the app is pretty simple.

What usually happens is that a  number of people register during the first
rush. The total number of registrations is in the order of small hundreds.
So the transaction volume is pretty low.

But the application just slows down when a number of people register during
the first ten minutes. The submission process just hangs.  First I thought
the reason would be the email blocking while sending, but I made sure it's
an async process.

Of course there can be multitude of reasons for performance issues starting
from the host resources up and I'll investigate the whole stack. But to
better plan my performance tests I thought first to ask if you have any
knowledge of specific performance related issues with Hobo.

Current app setup: ruby 2.2.4 + rails 4.2.5 + hobo 2.2.5 + mysql
WWW-setup: passenger + nginx
Host: Ubuntu LTS hosted on Amazon EC2.

Thanks!

--