Tim Kecherson wrote:
As I was playing a solo, my third valve slide on the F horn slipped
out and fell with a clatter to the stage floor.  I kept playing,
though my mind was racing.  I couldn't get the slide again until the
end of that section.

Yep. Alternate fingerings are your friend. At least it was the 3rd valve slide. If these facts had run through your head it could have eased your nerves:

Without an F 3rd valve slide, the only notes that cannot be played with another fingering on a double horn are the A-flat, G, and G-flat below low c.

Without a B-flat 3rd valve slide, you can still play every note on the double horn except pedal D-flat.

If you break the string (or lose both slides!) and can't use the 3rd valve at all, the only notes missing are the a-flat and d-flat below middle c1, and A-flat, G, G-flat, and D-flat below low c.

Without the first or second valve, this all gets much more difficult!

Greg