Steve Freides wrote:
The first trumpet was a paid ringer, a college student.  This year,
there are three trumpeters, again the first/principal being a paid
ringer college student. The new kid on the block is "assistant principal," and my son still playing second.

He wants to know exactly what that means,

Your description is mostly right for professionals: the assistant will play parts just before the other players' solos so the principal can lay out, will alternate with the principal during repeats, will join in playing loud tuttis, will sustain notes so the principal can take a breath, etc.

In a high school orchestra, unless the conductor or principal reigns in the players otherwise, I suspect the "assistant principal" trumpet will just play the first part the entire time except during solos.

Greg