Hi Cathryn,

In Rice and BU you've chosen some very good programs to consider for your
Master's in Horn. It sounds as if you're leaning toward studying in New
England. But as a former Texan (I don't know if a Texan is ever a "former"
Texan :), you might consider looking into to the horn program at the University
of North Texas. I'm told that it's now the largest music school in the country,
which means there are a great number of high level ensembles with lots of
opportunity to play. (The new orchestra conductor, David Itkin, has gotten
awesome results from the University's symphony orchestra>) Denton is about
thirty miles north of both Dallas and Fort Worth and a great many of the
instrumentalist at UNT get gigs in the many regional orchestras in the area.

The horn instructor is Bill Scharnberg (editor of the Horn Call). Bill is also
principal horn of the Dallas Opera (which moves into its magnificent new Opera
House this fall). He's a great teacher, too. (I've been studying with him for
the past couple of years.)

There's one other positive feature of studying horn at UNT. As a state school,
you'll get a lot of value from your GI Bill. (I have fond memories of the
original GI Bill. In Fall 1946 I was able to study horn full time at Boston
University. I probably couldn't have afforded to go to college without it.)

Feel free to contact me on or off list if you have any questions.

Ed Glick