>From: "Russell Krayer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>CC: hplip-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
>Subject: Re: [HPLIP-Devel] big-endian troubles scanning?
>Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:57:56 -0400
>
>I'm getting a little suspicious of the htole16 macro used in device.cpp,
>Device::WriteECPChannel().  I wrote this test code and tried it on both of
>my boxes, the AMD64 box and the powerpc.  The output was the same on both
>boxes:
>
>--------------------------------------
>#include <iostream>
>#include "hpiod.h"
>
>using namespace std;
>
>int
>main(int argc, char* argv[])
>{
>    unsigned short value = 1;
>
>    cout << "Value: " << value << endl;
>    cout << "hotle16(value): " << htole16(value) << endl;
>
>    return 0;
>}
>
>But, I'm not sure if I built my test executables correctly.  I see the
>#define WORDS_BIGENDIAN controls this macro but I don't understand exactly
>how the configure stuff sets it up.  Perhaps WORDS_BIGENDIAN is not getting
>defined on the powerpc platform.  In any case, this macro might deserve
>some scrutiny.
>

>Regards,
>Russ Krayer

Ok, I see now that the Makefile on the powerpc has -DWORDS_BIGENDIAN=1 in
the DEFS variable.  And so I compiled my test program that way and then the
output was swapped vs the AMD64 box.  Then, I ran it with the value 77 and
the output (in hex) was 4d00.  Interestingly enough, 4d00 and 004d are one
of the discrepancies in the usbmon output I captured and posted a few days
ago.  I tried 77 because of this line in mlc.cpp in MlcChannel::Open() right
after the ClaimInterface() call:

            if (pDev->WriteECPChannel(fd, 77))

I'm tempted to build without the -DWORDS_BIGENDIAN=1to see what happens but
it doesn't really make sense to me that I should have to do so.

Regards,
Russ Krayer