hplip 1.7.1
'Refresh all' pressed fast several times freezes (using F6 key for example).
'Refresh device' no matter how fast pressed by using F5 never hangs.

hplip 1.7.2
After pressing F5 (Refresh device) key fast several times hp-toolbox freezes.
After pressing F6 (Refresh all) key fast several times hp-toolbox freezes.

"Print Control" tab. After pressing any key or just leaving "Print Control"
tab makes freezing. Sometimes it is possible to go to another tab but then
when I go back to "Print Control" tab it freezes.

hplip 1.7.3
hplip 1.7.4
hplip 1.7.4a
choosing any tab freezes
Refreshing device F5 freezes (once chosen)
Refreshing all devices F6 freezes (once chosen)
only Configure and Help menus commands don't freeze

In hplip 1.7.4/1.7.4a "program not responding" dialog appears faster than in
earlier versions.

Everything I tested using Deskjet 5940 without cartdridges.
I tried to run all hp-toolbox with -g -ldebug flags but none errors were
found. hp-toolbox just freezes without any error. It looks to ma as some kind
of I/O error.
Using hp-toolbox from root mode does not solve anything except one thing, when
it crashes it always crashes hpssd too.
After hp-toolbox restart error appears:
"error: Unable to connect to HPLIP I/O (hpssd)." Then I reastart hplip
service, hpssd starts and hp-toolbox runs till I hang it again.
Running hp-toolbox from user mode never crashes hpssd.
hp-* console text tools always work in all versions.
Printing and printer setup using menus built in text editors (like in
OpenOffice) always work.
killall python exits frozen hp-toolbox (works from user mode).

have a nice day,
Zbigniew Luszpinski