Hello,

On Oct 20 00:08 Hosszu, John wrote (shortened):
> HPLIP 2.7.10 - This release has the following changes:
>
>    1. Made a change to 55-hpmud.rules ...

I do not understand why there is OWNER="lp" in 55-hpmud.rules.

When the owner is lp, then any CUPS filter script or backend
can change the permissions as it likes, for example via
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L790

With the default MODE="0666" there is not much to change for
a possible attacker but think about that the admin may have
specified a more restrictive mode but forgot to also change
the owner to root.

To be more on the safe side, I would like to have
OWNER="root", GROUP="lp", MODE="0666" by default for openSUSE.

Is there any functionality which does no longer work
out of the box if OWNER="root"?

For MODE="0666" the crucial question is whether or not
it is possible that another user (e.g. someone who is logged in
from remote) can somehow eavesdrop when a (confidental) document
is printed or scanned.

Is eavesdropping somehow possible with MODE="0666"?

>   17. Added support for the following new printer(s):
> - HP LaserJet 1018 (LJZjsMono w/plug-in)
> - HP LaserJet 1020 (LJZjsMono w/plug-in)
> - HP LaserJet 1022 (LJZjsMono w/plug-in)
> - HP LaserJet 1022n (LJZjsMono w/plug-in)
> - HP LaserJet 1022nw (LJZjsMono w/plug-in)

For openSUSE I provide only HPIJS as package hpijs-standalone.
Currently this package contains only /usr/bin/hpijs and some
documentation.

I build it via
./configure --prefix=/usr \
            --libdir=%_libdir \
            --disable-foomatic-xml-install \
            --disable-foomatic-ppd-install \
            --disable-doc-build \
            --enable-hpijs-only-build
make

Assume the user has a ZJStream printer and he has somehow
manually downloaded the necessary plug-in.

Would then the plain /usr/bin/hpijs work for his ZJStream printer?

I.e. would the plain /usr/bin/hpijs autmatically find his plug-in
and use it or is additional software needed and in case of the
latter which additional software from HPLIP is needed?

By the way:
There is nothing about the new LJZjsMono device class at
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/tech_docs/device_classes.html
or about the new plug-in mechanism at
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/tech_docs/hpijs.html

Kind Regards