I set up a print & scan server for my HP Photosmart C5180. The printer is
connected to the server through the network (in the printer subnet).
Whenever I want to print or scan anything, the clients connect to the server
to do so (ipp/cups or sane). I was using hplip 1.6.10 before and everything
worked fine.

Now I've upgraded to hplip 1.7.3 and noticed that the scanning functionality
only seems to work locally. "scanimage -L" shows me the scanner and I can
scan directly on the server. But I did always share the scanner over the net
using sane. I added the "hpaio"-backend in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf" and saned
allowed remote hosts to scan. But since hplip 1.6.12 this does not work any
more.

I did already sent a message to this mailing list, but was not able to
investigate the problem further. I was always using the official Gentoo
ebuild, but now I compiled 1.7.3 from source:
"./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-gui-build --disable-fax-build
--enable-network-build --enable-scan-build --disable-pp-build"
I thought this might be a Gentoo-related issue so I set up a Debian test
server and tried to do the exact same thing (compiling hplip from the
official source tarball) - with the same result.

Saned just says:
[saned] check_host: config file line: `+'
[saned] check_host: access accepted from any host (`+')
[saned] init: access granted
[saned] init: access granted to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[saned] process_request: waiting for request
[saned] process_request: got request 1
[saned] process_request: waiting for request
[saned] process_request: got request 10
[saned] quit: exiting

And the clients reports that no scanners could be found.

What could have changed since 1.6.12? Help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dan