Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I understand that it does not make sense for you to provide
> distribution specific packages (i.e. rpms for SuSE, RedHat
> and the like or debs for Debian based Distros).
>
> However, I consider it to be a good idea to make
> future hplip versions compatible with checkinstall. Up to now,
> any hplip tarball failed to build with checkinstall, at least in
> my experience-

Could you provide some info on what goes wrong? Error messages, etc. I
would at least like to figure out why we don't work with it.

> If this would work, it would be the easiest thing for any hplip
> user to build her own package for her distribution,
> simplifying the never ending installation or reinstall or
> deinstall procedure of hplip.
>
> Just "configure=>make=>checkinstall" instead of the wellknown
> rule of three
> "configure=>make=>make install"
>
> FYI this is checkinstalls homepage:
> http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
>
> Linux Magazine on checkinstall:
> http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/47/Charly_Column.pdf
>
> Just an idea
> Any feedback will be appreciated.

Indeed, this is a neat tool. It doesn't seem to be installed by default
on Ubuntu, though. Is it installed/available on all the various distros
out there (Mandriva, Fedora, SUSE, etc, etc)? One problem we have is
that we support virtually all distros that have the basic set of
requirements that we need (libusb, gcc, etc), so relying on a Debian
specific tool (or a tool only easily installed on Debian) would be an
issue. We have to add dependencies very carefully so as to not lock any
users our of our solution.

By the way, the checkinstall info says that it was primarily written
because packages don't support 'make unisntall' - we actually do. Its
not clear to me whether it works 100%, but it should be pretty close.
So, even if we can't get checkinstall to work, at least there is that. :-)

> Thanks much for your help

We appreciate your feedback.

-Don