Sorry for the questions.. I just thought someone said that there is a
shared memory problem on solaris with htdig using that, and that u should
use a certain linker (namely gnu) instead of (solairs).  However the make
file that htdig comes with i cannot really figure out if there is a
certain linker to use.. this is a htdig thing not gcc.  If i do the proper
compiler and linker etc then its a  gnu problem... that is the question,
and i have not found an answer from the htdig site about what is the
proper set up of compiler, linker, assembler.   I will ask the gnu people
and see if this makes any since to them.. thanks for the help.

Ron