According to Neal Richter:
>       I'm not getting any success merging databases.
>
> Here's the process:
>
> 1.    htdig -c htdig.conf.red
>
>       Searching works fine
>
> 2.    htdig -c htdig.conf.blue
>               [htdig.conf.blue has a different database_dir]
>
> 3.    htmerge -m htdig.conf.blue
>
>       htmerge finshes after some time.

You don't use -c on the 3rd command, so it will default to htdig.conf.
What database does that select?  That's the one that the "blue" db will
be merged into.

> 4.    A comparison of the old RED-only db files + BLUE db files to the new
> RED&BLUE db files looks OK.  The new files increase nearly to the sum of
> the seperate sizes of RED and BLUE files.
>
> 5.    Searching works fine for words in RED, but words in BLUE returns
> nothing.
>
> 6.     If I make the default database_dir point to BLUE, searching works
> fine (of course only for words in BLUE)
>
> Ideas?
>
>       I am using a DEBUG build.

You don't mention which version of htdig you're using.  Whether it's
3.1.x or 3.2.0bx, you should be running the latest snapshot from
http://www.htdig.org/files/snapshots/.  3.1.5 and earlier have some
bugs in the merging code, that can cause a number of problems.  Also,
for 3.1.x (even the latest 3.1.6 snapshot), you must run htmerge on the
individual databases before merging them together, as Jim Cole suggested.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>