According to Geoff Hutchison:
> >     No need for any system specific stuff here, rename() is in libc.
>
> Indeed, it's part of POSIX according to my man page.
>
> I wondered about this, but we certainly didn't find a system call
> like this when we went through this hassle. :-(

Fairly early on in 3.2 development, the mv was replaced with link and
unlink calls to do the renaming, but as Jesse pointed out, that doesn't
handle cross-volume moves.  I also pointed this out in 1999:

   http://www.htdig.org/mail/1999/12/0007.html

and Geoff, you confirmed this in 2000:

   http://www.htdig.org/htdig-dev/2000/02/0003.html

I think we have enough bugs to deal with right now without reintroducing
bugs we squahed 2 years ago.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>