I'm going to take two separate issues and separate them for the moment:
1) What changes are needed for a solid 3.2.0 release.
2) The mifluz merge (in a separate e-mail).

Please don't take any of my comments as overly critical or flaming.
You're new to the project and attempting to take on some heavy
lifting--so I'm trying to transfer some experience.

>       experience the idea of beta versions is to fix bugs, new features
>       and major code rework is avoided if possible.

This is certainly the traditional definition. In practice with ht://Dig
development, this hasn't worked very well. Typically this happens
because there simply hasn't been the manpower to tackle several large
cleanups at the same time. In the 3.1 "betas," people also came out of
the woodwork to contribute their local changes.

We do not currently have anything resembling a traditional software
development and engineering process. Largely this happens because there
has never been a significant number of core developers who can
concentrate signficant amounts of time on ht://Dig. (I'm an excellent
case in point.)

At some time in the future, it would probably be good to move to a more
"traditional" release scheme. It would also be good to have more
component-level test suites. In the meantime (i.e. for getting 3.2.0 out
the door with an appropriate level of stability), I suggest you
temporarily accept a more flexible definition of "beta release." The
reality starts with the list I mentioned--we absolutely must do some
code reworks or we'll be layering more duct tape over our problems. In
particular, IMHO, we'll continue to have weird htsearch bugs until we
toss the current parser system.

> My past experience in importing alot of new code like this is that it's
> always harder then it seems that there are lots of bugs.

I'm curious how much open-source development you've done. Remember that
merging patches is quite typical for maintainers--Gilles and I do this
quite often. In the case of ht://Dig, while development resources are at
a premium, we have often ported and merged patches.

The typical "beta" process with ht://Dig has been quite flexible towards
the beginning and as a release like 3.1.0 firms up, fewer patches would
be accepted. In answer to the question about 3.2.0 "firming up,"
remember the maxim about "development resources at a premium." For
example, I'd much rather switch to the new htsearch framework because
it'll be easier to find bugs.

> a case can be made that not only would the code differ significantly
> with the previous 3.2betas, it also has a load of new features.

Take a look at the release notes for 3.1.0 betas and for previous 3.2.0
betas. As I said, we've had to take a rather flexible interpretation of
a "beta" release. We currently don't have "development" or "alpha"
releases. They would be nice, but I also have to be realistic about the
pace of development and the number of active developers. Spinning a
release, no matter what it's called, is a fair amount of work.

> Part of it is a moral thing.  Sometimes when a release is floundering
> and
> taking too long, it's better to draw a line and say we're going to fix
> these bugs and get it out the door.

True. But pretty much every one of the points I mentioned in the
previous e-mail goes directly to a bug-fix question. (So does the mifluz
merge, but that's a separate e-mail.)

> substantial that the release needs to be called "4.0" just to give it
> enough credit ;-).

Avi Rappaport has said much the same thing. But:
a) it's really an issue worthy of a vote on htdig-dev.
b) it's not something to worry about until the final release is close to
finished.

-Geoff