At 2:21 PM -0500 11/5/98, Tammie Gorzelsky wrote:
>      I just got put on a project to update a htdig search engine, thing
>is they want to be able to access a password secured section also in the
>search. The questions I have are:
>- Can you have more than one htdig search running on the same machine?

Sure. You can edit the form to pick a specific config file (and have
multiple config files):
<input type=hidden name=config value=file1>
->file1.conf

>- If not can you require a userid and password on the form to pass along
>with the search to see if you _can_ access those pages?

You'll still need a user/pass combination to access secured pages.
If you don't want to return a mix of protected and unprotected pages, you
can have multiple forms as outlined above. If you're really concerned about
returning password-protected pages, you can password protect the form that
will search for those pages.

>- I assume(hope i not making an ass out of u and me :) from reading over
>this site that you have to re'dig' the site to get the new pages onto it,
>and that you can also use the username:password flag inorder to be able to
>access the secured pages?

Yes.

>Basically what I am really looking for is some sort of FAQ about the
>operations of htdig if there is one, and if not, if someone could help me
>out, I would be very grateful!

There's <http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html> and a number of other useful pages
at <http://www.htdig.org/> (hey, it's the manual!)

-Geoff Hutchison