Hi,

I would like to use the HttpClient API to fill in automaticaly an authentication request of my Tomcat form authentication. In a first step I send a GET request to get the JSESSIONID. A second step I send username, password and the cookie calling the j_security to passing through the authentication.

But I get only the login-error.jsp message back. I think this have to do with my cookie. Can anybody help me?

Here is the code I am using:

================================================================== BEGIN
package de.vascoda.aar.shibboleth.idp;

import java.io.IOException;

import org.apache.commons.httpclient.Cookie;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpException;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpState;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.NameValuePair;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.cookie.CookiePolicy;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.GetMethod;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.PostMethod;

public class ClientAutoAuthentication {

        public static void main(String[] args) throws HttpException,
IOException {

                // Set target URL
String strURL = "http://localhost:8080/shibboleth-idp-krz/SSO-guest";;
        System.out.println("Target URL: " + strURL);

        // Get initial state object
        HttpState initialState = new HttpState();

        // Initial set of cookies can be retrieved from persistent storage
        // and re-created, using a persistence mechanism of choice,
        //Cookie mycookie = new Cookie(".foobar.com", "mycookie", "stuff",
        //        "/", null, false);

        // and then added to your HTTP state instance
        //initialState.addCookie(mycookie);

        // Get HTTP client instance
        HttpClient httpclient = new HttpClient();
        httpclient.getHttpConnectionManager().
                getParams().setConnectionTimeout(30000);
        httpclient.setState(initialState);

        // RFC 2101 cookie management spec is used per default
        // to parse, validate, format & match cookies
        //httpclient.getParams().setCookiePolicy(CookiePolicy.RFC_2109);

        // A different cookie management spec can be selected
        // when desired

        //httpclient.getParams().setCookiePolicy(CookiePolicy.NETSCAPE);
        // Netscape Cookie Draft spec is provided for completeness
        // You would hardly want to use this spec in real life situations

httpclient.getParams().setCookiePolicy(CookiePolicy.BROWSER_COMPATIBILITY);
        // Compatibility policy is provided in order to mimic cookie
        // management of popular web browsers that is in some areas
        // not 100% standards compliant

        // Get HTTP GET method
        GetMethod httpget = new GetMethod(strURL);

        // Execute HTTP GET
        int result = httpclient.executeMethod(httpget);

        // Display status code
        System.out.println("Response status code: " + result);

        // Get all the cookies
        Cookie[] cookies = httpclient.getState().getCookies();

        // Display the cookies
        System.out.println("Present cookies: ");
        for (int i = 0; i < cookies.length; i++) {
            System.out.println(" - " + cookies[i].toExternalForm());
        }

        // Release current connection to the connection pool
        // once you are done
        httpget.releaseConnection();

        //Cookie ist da und Jetzt wird eingeloggt
PostMethod postMethod = new PostMethod(("http://localhost:8080/shibboleth-idp-krz/SSO-guest/j_security_check";));

//postMethod.getParams().setCookiePolicy(CookiePolicy.IGNORE_COOKIES);
                NameValuePair[] postData = new NameValuePair[2];
                postData[0] = new NameValuePair("j_username", "demo");
                postData[1] = new NameValuePair("j_password", "demo");

                //postMethod.addParameters(postData);
                postMethod.setRequestBody(postData);
                for(int i = 0; i < cookies.length; i++){
                        postMethod.setRequestHeader("Cookie:",
cookies[i].toExternalForm());
                }

                try {
                        httpclient.executeMethod(postMethod);

                } catch (HttpException httpe) {
                        System.err.print("HttpException");
                        System.err.println(httpe.getMessage());
                        httpe.printStackTrace();
                } catch (IOException ioe) {
                        System.err.print("IOException");
                        System.err.println(ioe.getMessage());
                        ioe.printStackTrace();
                }

                String responseBody = postMethod.getResponseBodyAsString();
                System.out.println(responseBody);

                postMethod.releaseConnection();

    }
}

This is the header of the normal way to authenticate via form authentication:

http://localhost:8080/shibboleth-idp-krz/j_security_check

POST /shibboleth-idp-krz/j_security_check HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost:8080
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 07:47:04 GMT