[Jungshik Shin (Re: [I18n]ISO 10646 Fonts and XFontSet question) writes:]

>> > Problematic, yes, but is must be addressed cleanly and effectively.
>> > Arguments over glyphs have bedevilled the acceptance of Unicode in the
>> > CJK countries, and you still hear people in Japan saying "Unicode
>>
>>   Please, drop 'K' here.

OK.

>> You may even drop 'C'.

Well not according to some Taiwanese acquaintances who get in a bother
every time they see a foreign-looking (i.e. Japanese) hanzi glyph. The
same people are heavily into CCCII. See "Jack K.T. Huang and Timothy D.
Huang, An Introduction to Chinese, Japanese and Korean Computing" for
some vitriol on the polluting effect of Japanese-looking glyphs.

>> Most Koreans, if not
>> all, do NOT care. Unicode has been perceived as 'the  way' to go not
>> only for multilingual use but also for Korean alone in Korea.

Good to hear. Pity others aren't as broad-minded.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298