Hi, Dave

On 04/25/2016 09:17 AM, Dave Crossland wrote:
Hi Tony

Would you be willing to post this wonderful email to the group thread? :)

On 24 April 2016 at 21:11, Tony Anderson <tony_ander...@usa.net <mailto:tony_ander...@usa.net>> wrote:

    Hi, Dave

    I hope you can continue your quest for information on how XOs are
    used in deployments.

    (edited)

    The strategic need is to establish direct communication with folks
    at these deployments to get first-hand information. This direct
    communication can put the community in direct contact with the
    user community and help us provide more relevant capabilities.

    I think this is going to be a deployment-by-deployment process.

    I received this in a communication from Anish Mangal:

    If the issue is about XO's then perhaps contacting Prof. Nagarjuna
    and Rafikh from TIFR, Bombay might yield something, as they have a
    deployment in the city and another near it.

    And this you may remember from Walter:

    I know nothing about G1G1 Round Two but the laptops from the first
    round went to many more places than just Mongolia. For example, it
    was from that program that the first batch of laptops went to
    Caacupé in Paraguay, a program that continues to be robust today.

    Caryl Bigenho has supported a deployment at a shelter in Los
    Angeles where the residents are not allowed access to the
    internet. I haven't heard much on this recently.

    The webpage is a good start
    (https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Local_Labs/Contacts). However, it
    is connected to the local labs program. You may want to find out
    from Walter about its current status. The idea died aborning
    because under our agreement with the Conservancy, Sugar Labs was
    not permitted to establish subsidiary groups. So I think the wiki
    effort should be independent of that initiative.

    We also need a format where we can gather significant information
    - perhaps a link from this page to a page per deployment. The key
    in each case is to have a local contact (e.g. email address) where
    we can get direct answers to questions as they come up and propose
    capabilities which may be of help. The questions we need answered
    go far beyond whether XOs are used inside a classroom or
    elsewhere. For example, if users are allowed to take laptops away
    from the institution, what has been the impact on wear and tare.
    If users 'own' the laptop; how does the institution replace them
    for incoming students.
    How has the Uruguay Plan Ceibal impacted learning in later grades
    - e.g. in readiness to use computers effectively in secondary
    school learning. The list could go on.

    Tony
    Tony

--