Indonesia banyak mengalami "brain drain" salah satunya ke Malaysia.
Malaysia sendiri saat ini sedang "haus ilmuwan", dan sedang mengadakan
program "brain gain" memanggil kembali intelektualnya yg hengkang ke luar
Malasya, terutama ahli-ahli Biotek (brita dibawah sana). Menurut
koran-koran Indonesia beberapa waktu lalu banyak Phd Indon yg saat ini di
Malaysia sini, yang akhirnya meningkatkan jumlah Phd di Uni-Uni serta
research centrenya.... hmm menaikkan peringkat statistik jumlah Phd juga
... upst !!

Tapi Malaysia cukup bijaksana dalam menangani Malaysian Phd  ini, salah
satunya dengan tidak mengharuskan mereka (Malysian Phd ini) secara fisik
menetap di Malaysia, tetapi "keep contacted or communicate" dengan tanah
'leluhurnya' atau melakukan 'joint project'. Masalah yg dihadapi Malaysia
sepertinya sama soal gaji (duwik lagi) seperti di Indonesia "The principal
drawback is in being unable to match the salaries of foreign-based
Malaysians".

Kalau saja rasa bangga dengan Indonesia masih ada di"dada" para Phd (+TKI
- Tenaga Kerja Intelek :) yg hengkang dr Indonesia ini, tentunya "brain
gain" ini dapat pula kita peroleh kembali ... dengan sharing (berbagi)
ilmu lewat komunikasi ... akan, kah ?

RDP
======
Boost for PhD holders
Ashraf Abdullah and June Ramli

KUALA LUMPUR, June 20, 2004:
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/Frontpage/20040621075331/Article/pp_index_html

More than 3,000 PhD holders here stand to gain from Malaysia's
biotechnology ambitions and its desire to move up the technology ladder.
The Government is studying the possibility of sponsoring them for
post-doctoral studies in biotechnology and other specific areas in leading
institutions overseas.

It will also set up twinning programmes with laboratories employing
Malaysians with the expertise the country needs, leading to more intensive
collaboration with foreign scientists.

These are among plans in the "brain gain'' programme to be submitted to
the Cabinet next month by the Science, Technology and Innovation Ministry.

Minister Datuk Dr Jamaluddin Jarjis said incentives would also be offered
to Malaysian scientists overseas to come home, but the priority was to
mine the expertise of Malaysians wherever they were.

"We are looking at two methods," Jamaluddin said.

"One is to encourage them to be here physically, and two, getting bright
minds to work for us remotely.

"This is a knowledge play, and to have access to their knowledge, they do
not have to be present here always. We only need to be able to communicate
with them and work on joint projects.

"We could consider twinning programmes with laboratories where there are
Malaysians with the kind of expertise we need,'' he said in an interview
with the New Straits Times.

The Government has attempted to persuade skilled Malaysians to return home
in the past, with limited success.

The principal drawback is in being unable to match the salaries of
foreign-based Malaysians.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi announced the "brain gain"
programme on April 30, noting that the Government was keen to collaborate
with Malaysians and foreigners interested in sharing their expertise and
skills.

On biotechnology, Jamaluddin said the Cabinet had asked his ministry to
re-examine existing programmes. "The ministry is working on it and will
present it to the Cabinet in the next few months."

The policy will cover various issues including infrastructure and
incentives for foreign companies setting up their operations here. "We
recognise that it will be years before we see the returns of investment in
biotechnology. We will consider offering biotech industry players a Bill
of Guarantees, as we have done for those in Information and Communication
Technology Companies, nothing less."

Kirim email ke