Have you tried using CDATA like this (I'd be curious to know if this
works or not):

 <isNotEmpty prepend="AND" property="description">
  <![CDATA[
   xyz
  ]]>
 </isNotEmpty>

Maybe I missed this in the other responses to this thread, but does
this work:

 <isNotEmpty prepend="AND" property="description">
  description like '%$description$%'
 </isNotEmpty>