I am not entirely sure I understand the question, but I will try to
answer it anyway. :-)

Namespaces help to logically organize the configuration.

For example, if you have a large application (like the one I work on)
with almost 100 sql map files, finding the one that contains a mapped
statement named "getEnteredAccountingPeriods" can be a bit time
consuming without just giving up and using grep. :-)

However, if you keep all the sql map files in one directory (which
IMO, you should either way), and use namespaces that match the file
names it becomes *much* easier. Now you know exactly which file to to
look in for the "Accrual.getEnteredAccountingPeriods" statement.

Larry