On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, guo yonggang wrote:
> On the contrary, when i add acpi_osi=Linux kernel parameter, the mute
> button been disabled.
> After remove the acpi_osi parameter, mute button works again.

Well, that means further testing is needed.

On the T61, there is *no* extra mixer (and that is probably valid for the
X61 too, I have to ask Lenovo about it).  I am not sure about the X61.
Every other thinkpad has that extra mixer, which the firmware could change
with impunity, since the O.S. doesn't normally mess with it.

That means the T61 BIOS has to mess with the main HDA mixer (the same one
ALSA usually talks to) to change volume and mute.  Since they were changing
the firmware, Lenovo made it so that the volume keys get reported *directly*
through the keyboard controller, and not through ACPI, and left it to their
drivers in Windows to actually change the volume.

It is time to make sure this is actually behaving sanely...

Here's the test that needs to be done on the ThinkPads:

1. as root, run lsinput

2. Find the *keyboard* in the lsinput output. Here, it is reported as this
(a T43, kernel 2.6.23):

/dev/input/event#
   bustype : BUS_I8042
   vendor  : 0x1
   product : 0x1
   version : 43860
   name    : "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
   phys    : "isa0060/serio0/input0"
   bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_MSC EV_LED EV_REP

3. run (as root) input-events <number of the keyboard event device>.
   e.g: if lsinput reported the keyboard is /dev/input/event4, run
   "input-events 4".  If you can't do it with X running, switch to
   a text console and try it there.

4. Press the keys you want to test (volume up/down/mute).  Report back what
   output they cause on input-events.   For almost every thinkpad, the
   answer is "none".  But it is supposed to be different on the T61 and
   probably the X61.

   Report the thinkpad model, model number, BIOS and EC versions along
   with the results, just in case.

Thanks.

  Henrique Holschuh