On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 04:04:28PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > > While git was cloning, I remembered to do a google search with 2.6.29 (my
> > > previous attempt was with 2.6.30 and that didn't give me anything), and
> > > that
> > > provided a very useful answer:
> > >
> > > http://www.nabble.com/Cannot-get-Ericsson-F3507G-to-work-with-the-Option-module-tt21993695.html#a21995246
> > >
> > > So I thought - let me check that wwan_enable thing on 2.6.30:
> > >
> > > % cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/wwan_enable
> > > 0
> > > thinkpad_acpi: deprecated sysfs attribute: access by process with PID 2968
> > > thinkpad_acpi: WARNING: sysfs attribute wwan_enable is deprecated and
> > > will be removed. Please switch to generic rfkill before year 2010
> > > % sudo sh -c 'echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/wwan_enable'
> > > thinkpad_acpi: deprecated sysfs attribute: access by process with PID 2968
> > > thinkpad_acpi: WARNING: sysfs attribute wwan_enable is deprecated and
> > > will be removed. Please switch to generic rfkill before year 2010
> > > usb 8-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
> > > usb 8-4: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
> > > cdc_acm 8-4:1.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
> > > cdc_acm 8-4:1.3: ttyACM1: USB ACM device
> > > cdc_wdm 8-4:1.5: cdc-wdm0: USB WDM device
> > > cdc_wdm 8-4:1.6: cdc-wdm1: USB WDM device
> > > usb0: register 'cdc_ether' at usb-0000:00:1d.7-4, CDC Ethernet Device,
> > > 02:80:37:ec:02:00
> > > cdc_acm 8-4:1.9: ttyACM2: USB ACM device
> > >
> > > Yay. Now I see that I've been looking at a different scenario - while
> > > upgrading to 2.6.30, I noticed that iwlagn has RFKILL support, and enabled
> > > it. I definitely tested it at one point - maybe that tripped off the
> > > problematic situation. So now I tried using the little physical switch,
> > > on and off again, and everything seems fine. I'll try it again after a
> > > reboot, in a minute.
> >
> > Oddly enough, it works fine after a reboot - the wwan_enable is still set
> > to 1.
> >
> > So it looks like the remaining problem is that something somewhere seems
> > to have set that option in a way that disabled the hardware, but nothing
> > tells the user that there is a problem. Can this be fixed?
>
> I really have no idea, it doesn't sound like a USB problem, but a
> platform issue :(
>
> sorry,
>
> greg k-h

I'm moving this from linux-usb to the thinkpad-acpi maintainers, guessing
that you may know more.

In the meantime I've rebooted as well as hibernated the laptop a few more
times, and I can't seem to establish a clear pattern by which wwan_enable
gets set or unset, because it unset itself at least twice since, without
me using the physical switch.

Help?

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.