Had exactly the same problem on another list, with most likely
contributing culprit being the SMTP server at vm.marist.edu.

More explicitly, you need follow Walt's suggestion and send an email to
lists...@bama.ua.edu
with the message
set ibm-main fullhdr

If this fixes the problem, this should more accurately be described as a
"circumvention".  The root cause is that the original message has
headers that indicate a character encoding of UTF-8 and it is passing
through at least one SMTP server that is either seriously back-level or
mis-configured to give a response that it doesn't support 8BITMIME (i.e,
only 6-bit character codes are supported).  This forces the Email sender
to incur the additional 34% space overhead of encoding the UTF-8 data in
a base64 encoding and adding additional headers to that effect, but in
this case those headers typically end up before the "Subject" header
rather than after.

If you are reading messages via list email rather than a newsreader and
don't have the "fullhdr" option specified, headers prior to the Subject
header are stripped and in the above case you loose the critical header
that tells your email client that the data is base64 encoded, so you see
undecoded garbage instead of the decoded text.  Specifying "fullhdr"
lets the critical "Contents" header propagate and should eliminate the
symptom.

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jremoveccapsew...@acm.org