On 01/29/2010 07:59 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:33:49 -0500, Thompson, Steve wrote:
>>
>> So when you did this call to CICS, it would recognize you would need to
>> wait (whether you actually needed to or now, you will now) and then it
>> would go dispatch another transaction that was ready to run.
>>
>> In effect, CICS was making virtual TCBs run using one real TCB, with
>> each virtual TCB being a transaction (pseudo conversational or true
>> conversational).
>>
> Why re-invent the wheel?  But this feels more like newly inventing
> the flat tire.

The obvious (?) answer here is that because of the additional
constraints placed on CICS application transaction code, CICS was able
to do its own internal CPU dispatching much more efficiently than using
separate TCBs for all transactions and letting MVS manage everything.
This was certainly true when CICS was created.  Perhaps even more
critical, having CICS manage things made it possible to share update
access to VSAM datasets and manage other transaction resources in ways
that would have been impractical or have involved more overhead with
multiple system TCBs.

30+ years ago we had exactly the same issues with DOS/VS and its support
for multitasking.  In pre-CICS days, to support our own on-line system
on limited hardware resources my predecessors had to develop what we
called "mini-tasking" - a set of interfaces and macros to support
multiple interactive transactions as a single system task in a single
DOS  partition -- a much simplified version of what CICS does.  Those
applications eventually evolved into CICS transactional applications,
which thankfully proved much easier to migrate to MVS.

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jremoveccapsew...@acm.org