From:   Chris Mason <chrisma...@belgacom.net>
To:     IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date:   04/15/2010 05:25 AM
Subject:        Re: SNA over TCPIP OS/390 1.3
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

Michael

> and the OSA card has only one port OSA card that supports Ethernet and
Token Ring.

Won't that be Ethernet ***or*** Token Ring? Presumably your OSA feature
port has an appearance similar to that of the lower right diagram in
Figure 54.
OSA-Express Connections and LEDs in the Open Systems Adapter-Express
Customer’s Guide and Reference manual.

>...>  We have the IP TN3270 already on the OSA card ...

This would imply the OSA feature port is configured as "channel type" OSC
which means that it must be dedicated to the "Integrated Console
Controller"
function.

What you might do in order to have both TN3270 TCP over IP traffic - and
any
other IP traffic - as well as SNA traffic running on the OSA feature port
is to
configure your OSA feature port as channel type OSE. That way IP and SNA
traffic can share the port. You will need to implement the TN3270 server
function within the Communication Server IP component in order to replace
having the OSA feature perform the TN3270 server role.

As for the 3745 with its 6 presumably LAN-attached SNA nodes where the LAN

is supported with DLSw. Those connections are quite easy to convert to
being
run on the OSA feature. You just replace the NCP major node definition
with
an XCA major node definition. You can define the same target MAC address
as
used in the NCP in the OSA feature. The switched minor node definitions in
the
switched major node do not need to change.

Oh - and you can throw away the PATH tables relating to the NCP which, if
they are your last PATH statements, will be an excuse for celebration!

> We are trying to get rid of the 3745 ...

This I understand.

> ... and just directly into the DLSw router.

This I do not!

You still haven't explained what "SNA Gateway Server" is.

You still haven't been clear about your partner nodes but I can guess that

they are some sort of workstations themselves supporting SNA software,
that
both your 3745 now - and OSA feature port in the future - and workstations

connect to a LAN and that the LAN has a pretend segment in the middle, as
it
were, which uses DLSW devices in order to run over an/the IP network.

Note, I expect you are having to change from a Token Ring LAN to an
Ethernet LAN for SNA connections since 3745 supports only a Token Ring LAN

for SNA. Since you are using DLSw this is not a problem. You need only to
be
able to run Ethernet between the OSA feature port and the DLSw device. In
other words you need to switch from using a Token Ring plug on your DLSw
device to using an Ethernet plug.

Note I am assuming you access the OSA feature port as a TN3270 server
using the Ethernet plug.

Chris Mason

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:36:35 -0500, Michael Saraco <michael.sar...@baer-
CONSULTING.COM> wrote:

>It is OS/390 1.3 and the OSA card has only one port OSA card that
supports
>Ethernet and Token Ring.
>
>We have a 3745 we want to get rid of. It has a total of 6 printers and
>terminals that are still SNA. We have DLSw router in front of the 3745.
We

<michael.sar...@baer-