On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:50:35 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:35:24 -0500, Etienne Thijsse wrote:
>>
>>There is a SYS00035 DDNAME associated with the PDSE, but freeing it with
>>dynfree gave me error 4 reason 1056, which means the dataset hasn't been
>>closed. :-(
>>
>>So that didn't work...
>>
>Was it SHR?  Why does C RTL have it OPEN?  (It's probably only
>trying to help you.)
>
>Thinking of it, ISPF is probably bad advice.  You'd need to be
>running under ISPF, which means you'd need to be running under
>TSO, which means you'd need to be running APF authorized.  PITA.
>
>I hate MVS!
>
>I tried an experiment.  It appears that FTP can delete a member
>while a PDS (I didn't try PDSE) is allocated SHR.  Can you FTP
>LOCALHOST from your C program?
>
>Have you considered z/OS Unix files as an alternative to PDSE?
>Even though it is MVS, it's remarkably free of the allocation
>mickeymouse.

Its not SHR. I think because remove() has to update its directory. Why it is
left open... beats me. Maybe because a subsequent remove() or rename() will
go faster... (rename() has the same problem, by the way).

APF authorized is bad. The program must be able to run without. So no ISPF...
FTP is a nice twist :-) that may work (although performance will suck.., but
beter something than nothing).

Unix files work fine, I know. But I need to enable everything that worked in
the previous version, the SAS/C one, which version worked fine with PDS's
and PDSE's, but did not support Unix files. People that upgrade to the new
version I am working on won't like it if I was to tell them PDS's are not
supported anymore...

Thanks,

Etienne