On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:32:24 -0400 zMan <zedgarhoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

:>What's the goal of the hashing -- obfuscation? Shortening the data?

Lookup.

Does the entry exist, and if so what are its attributes. If does not exist,
add.

:>On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Binyamin Dissen <bdis...@dissensoftware.com
:>> wrote:

:>> Is there a preferred hashing algorithm for such strings? The strings will
:>> be
:>> fixed length with trailing blanks.

:>> I was thinking of simply doing a MOD64 (or higher) of the sum of the
:>> non-blank
:>> part of the string by words, but as this is text with a limited character
:>> set,
:>> would this lead to excessive alias chains? Has research been done in this
:>> area? There will mostly be search activity but also add activity.

http://www.dissensoftware.com