-------------------------------<snip>--------------------------------------

On 7/27/2010 8:42 PM, Rick Fochtman wrote:

I can tell you from bitter experience that while the algorithm
is fairly simple, implementation is most assuredly NOT simple. :-(

About twelve years ago I was working as a contractor at a government agency that routinely processed files with hundreds of millions of records. My task was data extraction maintenance for a program that did an insertion sort on selected records. It took a few days to get the code working, but it was time well spent. The hard part was reading out the records in sequence, a task that Knuth left as an exercise for the reader <g>

I'll bet you a virtual case of your favorite beer that the answer was a recursive "tree walker". :-)

I found the problem in building and balancing the tree, not extracting data from it.

Rick