Not really. NUM ON is for history so that if you ever physically punch the
cards and drop them, you can put them back in order using your handy card
sorter! <grin>. PACK ON just saves some DASD. Like, who care? You know?

> If no compelling reasons, what can be done to make NUM OFF
> and PACK OFF as the default in any programmer's profile?

Yes. Start reading here about how to set up the ISPF defaults.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ISPZPC80/2.2.9

In particular, consider:
<quote>
SITE_WIDE_INITIAL_MACRO
    Site-wide Edit initial macro. The macro specified here will be run before
any user-specified macros. This can allow you to alter or disallow edit
sessions. You may want to use a macro that does a PROFILE RESET to force all
new profiles to use the settings in this configuration table.

    The default is NONE (no macro).
</quote>
to set a site initial macro which will then force specific edit attributes such
as NUM OFF and PACK OFF.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV