On 4/13/2011 6:36 AM, Anthony Thompson wrote:
> We had a similar issue here: occasionally a mountpoint directory and/or
associated symbolics went missing after an OS upgrade and a new root file
system was moved into production / development systems.

This is not a good answer for upgrades, but for regular maintenance, however,
take a look at the z/OS ABCs of Systems Programming redbook containing the
chapter(s) on Unix Systems Services, as well as the z/OS USS Planning guide.
Somewhere therein you will find details on setting up a read-only "system
root"... may also be referred to as "sysplex root".  Even in a monoplex, IMHO
it
is worth the effort.  If this is done well, With very few exceptions (some IBM
products being notorious for it), there is little reason to modify the "system
root" as supplied with z/OS.  There might even be some samples in the
ServerPac or in SAMPLIB to set this up.

> One of the system programmers had written a job that fired off after IPL;
that job called a REXX that scanned the current BPXPRM's and issued a
console message if expected filesystems were not mounted.

If you are z/OS 1.10 (maybe a little earlier), look at D OMVS,MF (Mount
Failures) and the Health Check for missing mounts.

> I extended that by writing a REXX that was called from /etc/rc that went a
step further. If an expected filesystem was not mounted, it consulted another
parm file that listed the necessary mountpoints/symbolics for the filesystems
and attempted to create them and then remount the missing filesystem. If the
remount failed an email was issued.

Now that's cool.  It might be possible to extend the Health Check or take put
the fix-it code into System Rexx after a "D OMVS,MF" and parse the
response.  Then again, I'm old-school, and every shop I've been in thus far
has had systems programmers on site for maintenance and release upgrades.

> That works quite well for us, provided the parm file is updated whenever
BPXPRM's are changed... I put a big comment box at the top of BPXPRM's as a
reminder.

The newer z/OS features might obviate the need for another parm file...

Regards,
Arthur Gutowski
Abend-Aid Development
Compuware Corporation