On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Gibney, Dave <gib...@wsu.edu> wrote:

> <snip>

As to cynical, I only need look at some of the recent neophyte questions

on these lists to realize just how far some outfits are out on the limb
> asking with completely unprepared people to safeguard systems presumably
> important enough to spend what z/OS costs just to run.

I was thinking the same thing. But I do know *everyone* has to start
somewhere.

Here's my story (note the use of past tense throughout):
I was lucky as an Operator to learn what I could from a Systems Programming
team that was comprised of a DASD guy, a Network guy (also the IMS guy), a
CICS guy, 4 or 5 MVS guys, and 2 or 3 DBA's that installed, maintained, and
administered DB2. When I was promoted into a Junior Sysprog position,
through attrition (mostly) or promotion to management, that bountiful pool
of knowledge no longer existed. I still learned what I could with a little
off-site training, this list, Redbook examples, and whatever time (which
wasn't much) I could get with the techs-turned-management. I eventually went
onto to become the Senior Sysprog, leading a team that consisted of only a
CICS guy and an Application Programmer come Sysprog. The DBA's still "owned"
DB2, but it was my plan to take over installation and maintenance of the
subsystems, leaving the administration rightfully to that group. I never got
the chance. The system of record was moved off of the z platform, and *all*
of the mainframe positions were eliminated, including mine.

> Of course, this does give me hope I'll find another position when I am
> forced to leave here after 30+ years when/if they succeed in ERP'ing the
> mainframe away. Problem is I suffer from jack of all trades syndrome. I
> rarely have freedom to fully master or complete a given area before the
> need in another returns to the pushdown stack of things needing done.

I think I suffer from the same syndrome. I *had* to wear a lot of hats, but
I enjoyed doing so. Being currently unemployed, and hindsight being what it
is, maybe I should have focused on, and become more expert in, one specific
area. There usually seems to be one or two requirements in the job
applications I fill out where I cannot honestly state that I qualify. With
some of the questions asked on this list, maybe honesty on an application
doesn't mean as much anymore. I may not be a "great" Sysprog, but I think
I'm a pretty damned good one. With 25+ years to go before retirement, I am
however getting concerned about my future.

I haven't contributed anything worthwhile to the original topic, but I did
see an opportunity to unburden myself a bit. I didn't open the off-topic
door; I just walked through it.

Regards to all on this list,
Steve Horein