Yes, I very much prefer the SELECT structure, that way you can skip all
those EXIT statements and it allows additional code (such as informative
WRITEs) to be placed after all the decisions have been made.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Mark Zelden <m...@mzelden.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:24:24 -0500, McKown, John
> <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm going to re-engineer our ACS routines. They are a mess. But I'm
> curious
> about the "best" way. I've narrowed it down to two techniques.
>
> <Snip>
>
> "Best" can be very subjective so I won't comment on that aspect.
>
> For simplification, just as I would do with REXX,  I would also include
> "SELECT WHEN" in your list of constructs to use.
>
> >I really want it to be simple and easy to understand and maintain.
> >

> SELECT WHEN can definitely help to do that compared to a bunch of
> IF/THEN/ELSE statements.
>
> Mark
> --
> Mark Zelden - Zelden Consulting Services - z/OS, OS/390 and MVS
> mailto:m...@mzelden.com
> Mark's MVS Utilities: http://www.mzelden.com/mvsutil.html
> Systems Programming expert at http://expertanswercenter.techtarget.com/
>
> *** Please note the new URL for Mark's MVS Utilities ***

CONFIDENTIALITY/EMAIL NOTICE: The material in this transmission contains
confidential and privileged information intended only for the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have
received this material in error and that any forwarding, copying, printing,
distribution, use or disclosure of the material is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this material in error, please (i) do not read it,
(ii) reply to the sender that you received the message in error, and
(iii) erase or destroy the material. Emails are not secure and can be
intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed
to have accepted these risks if you communicate with us by email. Thank you.