The "occurrence" fields are 1 byte hex fields, and their offsets change
based on what they are set to as I outlined before.

The original reason we wanted to use DFSORT is the ability to change the
data by passing it through a translate table (ALTSEQ).  The reason we are
doing this is to "obfuscate" the production data in these files to make test
files (which we cannot control the use of), so we can't have names,
addresses, past addresses and SSN's etc. in readable format.

The DFSORT program allows us to use the ALTSEQ parm to "scramble" the
letters and numbers for just the fields we are concerned about so that we
know what they are changed to, but that it would be difficult for anyone to
use if they were to get a copy of the "test" file.

I think the same thing can be done with REXX and SAS, but I don't know how.

I noticed that Elardaus in a previous response had said you can save into
temporary fields, which is what I would like to do, (I think).

Is anyone familiar enough with DFSORT to show me how that's done for
something like this?

Thanks again for all of the comments.

Brian