In article <listserv%201105200933549794.0...@bama.ua.edu> you write:
>I just initiated a post. It may or may not be relevant that I initiated
>the post.
>I can be sure only when I feel inspired to respond to a post. I used the
>archive "Post New Message" function and - I've been discussing Joseph
>Conrad recently so the word "horror" came to mind - I got an "Out of office"
>in
>my Inbox! This is the first time this has happened.
>
>In case the originator - or his site - has done something recently which has
>broken the current filters to prevent this sort of thing here is the beginning
>and end of quite an extensive offending article:
>
><ooo post>
>
>Mike Wawiorko is out of the office from 20/5/11 returning on 23/5/11.
>My email will not be monitored.

Perfectly normal. Nothing to get excited about.

There are no "current filters to prevent this sort of thing" because the
message never went through the Bama Listserv, but directly from Mike to
you.  His OOO autoresponder, like many others, does not distinguish
between list mail and non-list mail.  The better autoresponders do and
don't respond to list mail.

And it could have been worse.  Some particularly stupid autoresponders
would send the OOO message to the list.  I have seen plenty, both in my
inbox and on lists.

Listserv has filter capability that could trap OOO messages but our
esteemed listowner has chosen not to implement them.  Its his list so I
am not argueing with that decision.  Wouldn't have helped in your case
because the listserv was not involved.

--
Rich Greenberg  Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 941 378 2097
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67