On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 14:45:35 +0000, Bob Shannon wrote:

>>He did not say the PC instruction will not work above the bar
>
>The Entry Table Entry for a PC routine has not been expanded to 64 bits. Until
>it is, a PC routine cannot be above the Bar. It appears that Amode 64 is
>supported (but not documented) but the PC routine cannot reside above the Bar

Is this a hardware restriction?

I had thought the hardware design was running far ahead of the software
in erasing all the lines and bars.  I suppose a linkage vector could reside
below the bar and the bulk of the code above.

I also thought that Linux for z was free of 31- and 24-bit dependencies.
What facility (branch, SVC, or PC) does Linux use for system requests?
(It can't be purely branch because it's necessary at some point to enter
Supervisor state.)

-- gil