From:   Jim Thomas <j...@thethomasresidence.us>
To:     IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date:   07/18/2011 03:10 PM
Subject:        Re: Making Z/OS easier - Effectively replacing JCL with
Unix like commands
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

I have nothing against anything 'new' and highly doubt that
other mainframer's do either. Come from the world of Windows
or Apple ??.. I am not even going to comment on that.

That said, what are we trying to achieve ?? .. the blue screen
of death on the mainframes ?? (be it z/OS, z/VM, z/VSE or even
z/Linux).IMHO, everybody and their mother, to include IBM has
been bent over trying to do the same for at least a decade that
I can now state. I don't think I need to point out or bring up
too much evidence on how spectacularly specialized and efficient
the PC world was in populating and letting the world know, how
efficient they were with the 'blue screen of death' and I know that
none of you know what I speak of right ??.

The 'mainframe' environment has been robust for MANY decades. Is there
anybody that can state the same of the PC environment that everybody
just insists on incorporating into the mainframe world ??. As both,
a former developer and a systems programmer, I can very honestly
say that we'd (one way or the other) get out of an unwarranted or
unwanted IPL most always (especially with z/OS).

Can anybody in the server world say that ??. Seems to me that the
defacto action is always CTRL-ALT-DEL .. be it the 'server' or
'router' or whatever else.

By the by ... before Winblows 3.1 came out ... I did a lot of work
on Novell too ... so I do have some experience, knowledge and
exposure to what I speak of.

'old' mainframer's, IMHO, do not have any problems or hesitation
with adapting and or using 'new' technology 'when and if it works'.

Why is CTRL-ALT-DEL a viable option for replacing mainframe for PC
servers when the said company just ends up paying more than they
really did with 'an old mainframe'. On the same token, why is an
IPL of my MVS image (or PLEX) not acceptable ??... it's the same
as CTRL-ALT-DEL is it not ??.

AFAIK, us old mainframer's ... want to do our jobs, which is to
say, do what we enjoy the most but not want to have to do it repeatedly
or redundantly, over and over and over again. I have spoken (rather
vehemently unfortunately) to many PC developers and WEB developers
that simply could not understand why a given product, system or
sub-system that I was owned at that point it time, had not been
completely re-written and 're-complied' ... More often than not,
after a couple of hours, I gave up and said ... 'because I do not
have to re-write and re-compile the world just to feel important or
justify my job'.

There is also another thread about wanting 'script's instead of
JCL... have any of these folks looked into REXX ?? or even CLIST ??.

There was some negativity about DCB's ... oh .. okay .. we don't need
DCB's but .. lets just have a two and a half mile long PATH that each
applications programmer has to maintain and or keep track of. Sure ..
yep .. it's very simple and applications programmers will keep a track
of them all ........ my foot !!.

Were the non mainframe environment at the very least, a little more
stable, I'd venture to say that most all, if not all, 'old' systems
programmers (or even us 'old' developers) would gladly welcome and
incorporate required changes.

Lastly and fully knowing that I'm 'rocking the boat' .. what the heck,
manager's ?? .. management ??. The only comment I'll make (for the
moment) is that a few years ago, I actually had a ... umm .. manager
call me and get pissed off in about five minutes into the conversation
because he was adamant that 'MVS' meant 'Microsoft Virtual Studio' which
was around a lot longer than MVS on the mainframe ... I asked for his
academic qualifications and was told that he had an undergrad degree in
Journalism. Of course, I blew it because I asked him if he knew how big
an idiot he was and if he'd be willing to write about his own stupidity in

the local papers ... Ooops !!.

Radoslaw, please forgive me but in my experience, nine out ten, supposedly
young and open-minded kids don't have a clue what they speak of. Note
however, they are not to blame and instead the finger (IMHO) should be
pointed at the wonderful universities, the business world and of course,
last
but definitely not the least and the very most important, the wonderfully
smart CEO's that really should (supposedly) be looking out for the company
but
in reality only look out for their own pockets. I know many a company that

follows that trend. IOW, if you nose is not crusted extremely brown, you
will
be fired, let go, laid off, or whatever the hell else that somebody in
some
worthless HR department can come up with. Of course, all of this is going

be in the name of 'saving' the company some money !!.

I long for the day that the investors wake up !!.

Kind Regards

Jim Thomas
617-233-4130             (mobile)
636-294-1014                (res)