On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:30:01 +0200, Hunkeler Peter (KIUP 4)
<peter.hunke...@credit-suisse.com> wrote:

>After activting z/OS V1.12 RSU1106, an STC started to loop every now and
>then. It turned out there was a bug in our assembler code reading data
>set entries from the catalog using IGGCSI00. The code did not correctly
>handle the case when IGGCSI00 marked an entry in the workarea to be
>in error. Obviously, this did not happen for the last 10 years as this
>is about the age of this piece of code.
>

>I had a look at the samples provided by IBM. The assembler samples do
>handle the error indicator but the REXX sample *does not*. While it
>would not go into a loop, it may return garbage information.
>
>You might want to have a look at your "IGGCSI00" code, especially if
>it is based in the REXX sample in SYS1.SAMPLIB as opposed to some of
>the other CSI-REXX code provided by members of this list.
>
>I'll open RCFs and PMRs as appropritate after further analysis.

I had looping in the REXX version.  I added code to my REXX
version (CATSRCH) many years ago.  Here are the comments to
look for:

ELSE DO   /* NO ENTRIES IN THE CATALOG OR UNKNOWN TYPE *//* MSZ */
          /* UNKNOWN TYPE CAN BE CAUSED BY PARTIAL     *//* MSZ */
          /* CATALOG RECORD SUCH AS AN INTERUPTED      *//* MSZ */
          /* DELETE OR UPDATE-EXTEND (IDC11441I)       *//* MSZ */
          /* THIS USED TO CAUSE A LOOP IN THIS CODE    *//* MSZ */

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com