Paul:

I think that was because that way back when IBM had a TSO product called PCF. If memory serves me one of the feature that PCF offered was to be able to stack commands and to separate them it used the field mark key as a delimiter.

Although admittedly the biggest feature of PCF was to do data set dasd pooling (it also had a few other really nice features). We used it as well for TSO command authorization as we hadn't gotten RACF yet. The only issue I had was to change dasd meant an IPL or you had to have plenty of spare pools. I didn't like to zap LPA modules unless it was really needed and we needed another freebie from IBM to do that.

Ed