On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:17:04 -0400, Gary Weinhold wrote:

>You only need (want) 1 billion random numbers.   I think multiplying each 9
>digit number by a prime greater than 1 billion and dividing by 1 billion will
>generate a unique 9 digit remainder for each number.

(Why didn't I think of that!?)  Of course, the multiplier, M, needn't be greater
than 1 billion.  For any M, M mod 1 billion produces identical results.  And it
needn't be prime; only relatively prime to 1 billion, i.e. any number whose
final  decimal digit is 1, 3, 7, or 9.

M must be kept secret.  But I suspect it can easily be inferred, even if only
by exhaustion, given any single key in its clear and masked forms.  If
there is no requirement that the masked key be numeric, the search space
can be enlarged, however slightly, by using a base85 encoding (see RFC
1924, April 1, 1996).

Even if the intruder knows no key in its clear and masked representations,
but knows that keys in some set are invalid, he might be able to make a
good guess at M by the absence of certain masked values in a sufficiently
large sample.

-- gil