Peter's original question was

"The subject is the question.  Obviously I can insert a WORKING-STORAGE
switch that is off by default and a "Debugging line in the PROCEDURE
division to turn "on" that switch when "WITH DEBUGGING" is in effect, but
this seems clumsy to me.

If there is another way, I'd appreciate any info you can provide"

But it turns out that what he is really after is doing some procedure code
when in debugging mode but not at all times.

I think the problem is that you are used to "debugging lines" but don't know
about (or have forgotten about)
  Debugging Declaratives

These are what you really want.  See (for example)
  http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/igy3lr50/8.1.15.4

There is a "nice" example of how to use it in the COBOL Migration guide
where it shows how to replace the OS/VS COBOL "READY TRACE" statement with a
DEBUGGING DECLARATIVE.

See:
  http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/igy3mg50/4.1.5

and look at the sample code under