Hi Salva,

The answer is, It depends!  As has been said in other replies, the answer is,
at the very least political.  I used to work with a retired IBM capacity
planner.  There are two main purposes to a billing system.  1) recover your
costs and 2) encourage sustainable computing behavior.

1) costs, all costs.  This doesn't mean that you have to have a separate
billable for every little thing that goes into cost.  We have a CPU charge that
incorporates support staff, equipment maintenance, operations staff, etc. We
also charge for DASD excps.  We used to charge for DASD residency 25+ years
ago, but it caused undesirable user behavior so we stopped charging for DASD
residency.  There is still DASD cost of course, but it is included in the rest
of the rates.  It's also important to have rates that your customer can
understand. We basically charge for CPU, DASD excps, tape, tape mounts, print
records, and a few other things.  When we used to have a lot of tape drives and
operators to mount tape, we had a lot of user tapes to deal with.  Now, almost
all of our tape activity is virtual.  Our billing charge for tape handling is
much higher that the charge for FTP data pickup and delivery to the user's
server.  Print records sent to a viewer are less expensive than printed
reports.  Customers can also print all or part of their reports on their own
printer, remotely.  Remote print records are billed at a lower rate, but we
still have to recover costs.  Everybody has to recover costs somewhere,
somehow.

2) encourage sustainable computing behavior.  For example, if you charge for
DASD residency, consider making the residency charge less for the cheaper disk,
more expensive for the fastest, more expensive, etc.  Another site announces
when their oldest disk is coming to end of life - at that point the maint
prices for it are generally going up - so they bill more for it and that helps
motivate their customers to want to move to other disk.  The price increases
cover the extra cost and the natural desire of the customer is to avoid the
extra cost and be willing to have their data moved.

So if CPU is more expensive for batch work at peak times, customers will be
encouraged to move what they can to other times - and that will help you keep
your rolling average lower and save you money too.  For other types of work,
programmer testing, etc. the temptation is to run that workload at really low
priority, but programmers are an expensive resource if they spend too much time
waiting for their jobs to run.

/snip

In other terms:
If I have a STC consuming 25,000 cpus / secs per month, and I spend two days
optimizing it to reduce to 15,000.
Am I gaining money or loosing time ?
/esnip

Getting back to your first question, I'd say maybe.  If you need that 15,000
CPU seconds for other work, or if trimming them keeps your peak down for the
month, you may save more than would be obvious.  Your customer may be delighted
that you care about keeping their bill down and may bring you a bunch more
billiable work.  It depends.

HTH,

Linda