"two way" (round trip), then you can go back the way you came. If the street is
"one way", then you can't. So CCSID#2 may have a "one way" street to CCSID#1.
You can make the trip, but if you go back, you must use a different street. So
when you go back to CCSID#2, you end up somewhere else in CCSID#2 from where
you started.

A "round trip" route from CCSID#1 to CCSID#2 means every street from CCSID#1 to
CCSID#2 is "two way". But that does not mean that every street from CCSID#2 to
CCSID#1 must be a "two way" street. There may be a "one way" trip from #2 to
#1. So you cannot say that #2 is "round trip" to #1. That is, every "code
point" in CCSID#2 must go to a "code point" in CCSID#1, but if more than one
does, then the conversion is not classified "round trip".

And it means that, so far as these conversions are concerned, if you use a hex
value not in the set of "code points", nothing at all is guarnateed (you went
"off road" so to speak). So "round trip" does not say that every "hex value"
maps to a unique destination. In fact a "hex value" which is not a "code point"
in a source CCSID could actually translate to a "hex value" which is a "code
point" in the destination CCSID.

I now have a headache and am going to have a lay down.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group