We use a couple of OpenTech products. VDR will make copies of tape files
(in our case, in our VTS) and stack intelligently on 3592 carts up to
the % used that you want. DBS creates DFDSS or FDR jobs which also try
to stack disk volume backups onto 3592 carts (up to the percent used
that you specify). At disaster, you recover from the DFDSS/FDR backup
tapes, created by the jobs created by DBS. DBS has a post-dump process
whereby it creates the restore JCL for you as well. The restore JCL has
the GnnnnV00 of the tape as well as the volser and file sequence number.
So you're not dependant on your z/OS catalog for restoration. But you do
need to dump the volume upon which the JCL resides after the
post-process is done. We do this by making sure that the volume upon
which the JCL resides is always the last file on the last tape in the
DBS dump process. We then redump the volume using a zero-gen and
overwriting the previous contents. This works so long as the dump file
remains the last file on the tape.

VDR can be used by keeping its tapes (remember they are just copies, not
originals) off-site. At D.R., VDR can recatalog the copy of the datasets
to be on its volumes (while updating CA-1 and/or RMM's tape catalog). It
can also be used to load the tape data into a VTS at D.R. (we do this),
and recataloguing the datasets onto the new VTS volumes (again updating
the CA-1 or RMM tape catalog).

Another possibility is DFHSM and the TMM (Tape Mount Management)
philosophy wherein you redirect tape datasets onto a select storage
group, then aggressively manage the volumes in that storage group (via
the management class on the TMM datasets). DFHSM will also intelligently
use the 3592 cart (although it isn't really stacking as I think of it).
You will need to use DFHSM duplexing for an off-site copy.

A third possibility is to use CA-VTAPE. This product implements a
virtual tape system where the data is kept on z/OS dasd (as opposed to
non z/OS DASD with a normal VTS type system). This product will use 3590
and 3592 devices for "backstore". It can also duplex its backstore tapes
so that one set is kept off-site. When you go to a disaster test (or
real disaster), the duplex backstore tapes are used to retrieve the
virtual tape volumes. In my opinion, this solution has two drawbacks:
(1) it uses z/OS DASD, which is generally more expensive that "Open
System" DASD on a per megabyte and (2) it uses z/OS CPU cycles. However,
the duplexed backstore is a nice plus.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.