McKown, John wrote:
Is there some document which does a "compare and contrast" between
WebSphere Developer and ISPF? Is is possible to totally replace ISPF
with WebSphere Developer? I mean for programmers. I realize that there
are ISPF applications which are not accessable via WebSphere Developer
at this time (such as a CA-1 interface, CA-7 interface, perhaps others).
Can WebSphere Developer, or an add-on or ??, be positioned as an
eventual replacement for ISPF entirely? Just curious.

John,

Well, I don't know of such a document, but having completed
an introductory course in the product (at the request of
IBM) I'm reasonably aware of how the product shapes up against
ISPF.

First, it is not a total replacement - in a sense. That is,
there are things you cannot do using the WD/z main interface,
such as run ISPF dialogs. That being said, the product does
include a TN3270 emulator, so you can connect to ISPF in one
pane of all the windows available under the WD/z image. You
can actually be logged on to two sessions then (one is a
true TSO/ISPF session, the other is an APPC session).

Second, you can do many things you do under ISPF under
WD/z and some things you can actually do better (I like
having multiple windows open on a single file, for example).

Although you can get compilers for COBOL and PL/I for
the workstation (re-vamps of the Visual Age products,
I'm sure), the WD/z people don't promote using the
product just for that purpose. In fact, all my early
work was focused on using the product to do the standard
ISPF type work I normally do: so I would edit on the
workstation but compile and test on the mainframe.

Third, it is a great tool for developing applications
looking to the newer directions, since it is built on
Eclipse and RAD, you can do UML, Java, EJB, Web Services,
and so on, all from this single interface.

So I think of it as a tool to complement and ultimately
replace ISPF and as one that provides a single platform
for classic development and Web / Internet development.

For information on our class:
http://www.trainersfriend.com/UNIX_and_Web_courses/w510descr.htm

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,