Ladies&Gentlemen,
                 I'm sure this is an easy question for anyone who
understands HSM & RMM, unfortunatly I'm not one of them.

We've been running HSM/RMM without problems for several years. Recently,
not sure exactly when, HSM started spitting out the following msgs when it
freed up a tape.

ARC0365I BACKUP VOLUME FT1718 NOW AVAILABLE FOR RECYCLE
ARC0261I TAPE VOLUME FT1718 NEEDS TO BE REINITIALIZED

We have now run out of tapes.
(Actualy faketapes on a flex machine, but I don't think that is relevent.)

We don't understand why this has started to happen. Our HSM parms were last
changed in 2003. Several people have been playing with RMM so we suspect
it's something in RMM.

If I list the tape in RMM the actions on release are -
Action on release:
Scratch immediate  = N  Expiry date ignore = N
Scratch = Y  Replace = N  Return = N  Init = N  Erase = N  Notify = N
Actions pending:
Scratch = N  Replace = N  Return = N  Init = N  Erase = N  Notify = N

We could switch on INIT but we don't want the tapes reinitialised, we just
want to re-use them.

What changes, presumably in RMM, can have caused the ARC0261I msgs to start?

Thanks in advance,

Ron MacRae