>I wouldn't encrypt data within a datacenter. The only data that gets
>encrypted around here is data that goes out the door. Internal tapes are
>not encrypted.

>If one level of backup are in your automated tape library, in a data
center
>with card-key access in a building with armed guards on all entrances who
>inspect packages coming in AND going out, then I don't think you need to
>encrypt that data.

Its too easy for one of those 'secure' tapes to walk out the door with a
disgruntled employee.  And when the audit turns up a tape missing - its not
going to care how or where it went - only that its missing and not
encrypted.  More than once I've read notices from companies announcing
breaches where they state that they are '99% sure its in a landfill,
but...'.  And while that may be true and the data is more than likely safe,
the damage to the reputation is already done, and the cost to notify is
real.

For my money, if it >can< be carried out, its going to be encrypted.

Jeffrey Deaver, Engineer
Systems Engineering
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
651-665-4231(v)