The culprit appeared to be... FDR!  That was a surprise to me, so I went
digging in the installation parms and discovered that we'd configured it
to use a "catalog locate exit" for auto recall.  Guess when Bruce says
"locate exit" he means "front-end SVC 26" since there isn't a locate
exit anymore.
David, you are right. Actually there is still a "locate exit" - in the SVC 26 module IGC0002F, there is a CSECT IGG026DU which is actually the entry point of the load module. I guess you could say that it was never an "exit" since that is actually a "front-end" to the IBM code. But some IBM doc referred to it as the "catalog exit".

A long time ago we actually replaced that CSECT with our code, but we changed to a dynamic installation which front-ends the IBM code by changing the SVC table. As you noticed, there are others who do the same. Sometimes it is important what order the dynamic intercepts are installed.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR