-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ted MacNEIL
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 6:45 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: License keys for ISV products(What alternatives are there?)

<SNIP>
I have lived the pain, to the point of production failing, and losing
revenue from expired keys.

There a legal venues when a contract is not being honoured.

<SNIP>

So here I am, a start-up vendor. You have decided that me taking you to
court for breach (non-payment) is a good thing, because you don't want
to pay for the software that we've been supporting...

3 years later, in a FED court (because of us not being in the same
state, or whatever) we still haven't been paid, but we're having to fork
out money for a lawsuit after having shutdown the company.

>From my perspective, as a vendor, an ounce of prevention is worth more
than the grief and headache of such a lawsuit (let's see, there are the
depositions, the meetings with attorneys to respond to various motions
(rather than doing things that generate CASH FLOW), the experts who have
to look at our financials and determine how much you have hurt us, then
hopefully we can demonstrate fraud (very tough), etc. -- It does happen,
I WAS an officer in a company that is in the middle of this -- however,
not in mainframe software, no one in mainframes would do this, right?).

Later,
Steve Thompson