I learnt that the hard, but not critical way, some time back. We were using
FDR for backups and creating 1 original and a copy at the same time. One
copy would go in the firesafe and one would stay in the robbie (Comparex
6388 ACL if anyone remembers those beasts!) Anyway management decided that
they wanted an offsite copy as well so I just added extra DD statement and
made 3 copies at once. The job ran nicely, no failures and we, presumably,
had 3 copies of all our data. Come DR time, I recalled the tapes from the
offsite storage and tried to restore them. No go, at all. There was no data
on them. Upon checking all the other copies they were exactly the same.
Seb, for your info, FDR and FDRABR support two tape copies of each backup, specified as TAPEx and TAPExx (x is any alphanumeric character) so you might use TAPE1 and TAPE11. If sounds like you added a TAPE111 DD statement, hoping to get a third copy, but that is not supported. FDR will just ignore it, so it will not open the dataset,

That doesn't explain why the TAPE1 and TAPE11 backups appear to be empty. We just ran a test and they were fine.

Our FDRTCOPY utility can be used read TAPE1 or TAPE11 and create a third copy.
--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR