>>> It's one reason to try to keep all your tapes virtual.

>> It's a small trade off for simplifying the
>> management of the environment (which is very large) and guaranteeing
>> to the business that we will have all the tape data in a disaster.

>Well, it's safe, convenient, error-proof, but EXPENSIVE.

It doesn't have to be expensive.   Seen this?
      http://www.luminex.com/products/channel_gateway/firex4500.htm
Or this?
      http://www.bustech.com/products/mainframe-data-library.asp

Both will mirror the data on the back end for BCP purposes.  Why even keep
the RTDs?  This stuff is inexpensive enough to keep all the tape data on
spinning disk and fully mirrored.  We're seriously thinking about it.
Probably works for us better than most, however, since we made a concerted
effort over the last decade to keep people from using tape.  So its mainly
just HSM and DB images at this point and its under 25TB of data.

Jeffrey Deaver, Engineer
Systems Engineering
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
651-665-4231(v)